There are 5 Things You Must Do to Accomplish Anything.
Accomplishing anything at all – from simple to complex – art to business to sports – requires these 5 things be done.
I had a moment of writing sarcasm and almost wrote nothing more than that one word. START. I am continually amazed how often people talk about and around a dream and yet don’t actually BEGIN. So if you have something you want to accomplish, START. There is no perfect time. Waiting until….. is often waiting forever.
START. Get comfortable with imperfect action, which leads to number two.
2. Action. Nothing is ever accomplished by only thinking about it. Even the greatest philosophical works involving years of thought, require action to document and share those thoughts and theories. For mere mortals beginning an entrepreneurial business, or a project or artistic creation there must be built into your structure, time filled with consistent productive action. I often suggest the TICBD Method. TICBD is a list of “tasks I could be doing . It sits somewhere visible in your office or home and protects you from moments of – “I know I should be productive but I’m unsure of what I should be doing now”.
3. Clarity. To accomplish anything you must know what it is you are aiming to accomplish. To me this means getting exquisitely clear on your goals, your purpose, your mission with this project and what really has meaning for you. Clarity forms the foundation that supports the thing you are creating. Without a strong foundation you will build your business, your house, even your relationships on a mound of shifting sand.
We dive deeply into your Foundation when you coach with me either privately or as an EBSC member, because it’s so crucial! Too many people build their framework and structure without the clarity of what has meaning for them and what fuels their energy and focus. In order to accomplish anything I know you must be crystal clear as to WHO you are and as to WHY you have chosen this particular path.
4. Belief and Understanding. Belief in yourself. Belief in your mission. Understanding of the processes involved to move towards completion and success. I have a pet peeve about the word “TRY”. When you are ready to step forward with your business or your project or even cleaning the oven, there is no try. There is do and do not do. Belief in your ability to take action is the key. You might fail. Seriously. You might fail to accomplish your goal, your dream, your oven cleaning. But when you begin with a strongly felt and stated belief in it at least you begin with the expectation of success!
In oven cleaning there is not a lot of baggage around to interfere. But in many entrepreneurial projects there is. We run our plans through a filter of questions, self-doubt, messages from our parents and teachers that linger in our subconscious. This baggage can lead to procrastination and lack of focus, causing us to make excuses rather than stepping boldly forward, which is why Transforming Your Story is so crucial to accomplishing your goal
Understanding all the ins and outs and processes involved with moving from here to there with your plan is also huge. It’s frustrating to begin expecting a sprint and realize partway in that you have signed up for a marathon. Most entrepreneurial business ventures are a marathon. Even if you’ve heard of people striking gold in just a few months from beginning, chances are there is a back story you are not seeing. Take the time to investigate – yet don’t let yourself get stuck in analysis paralysis. Imperfect Action is much better than no action. Which brings us to…. five.
5. Coach-ability. You don’t know it all. I don’t know it all. In fact no one knows it all, and even if they did, no one can see their own forest for the trees. In order to accomplish anything that has some degree of learning and challenge for you, you must be open to input, constructive criticism, education and alternative ideas. This is what it means to be coach-able. No matter your existing skill or knowledge level, there is always more to learn and ways to expand your perception and methods.
I have a number of clients who are quite expert in their field. Pro athletes are experts in their sport. Top CEO’s and Billion Dollar earner are expert in their companies. All would be loathe to do what they do without regular interaction with a coach or mentor. Why? Because another person trained to reflect and reframe your thoughts and idea is like having a secret magic weapon in your back pocket. Someone who can see what you are doing and expand, inform and even correct what you yourself cannot see, is crucial to success.
Put In Place Your 5 Things You Must Do To
Accomplish Your Goals
I’d love to hear from you in the comments below about something you’ve accomplished by doing at least one of these 5 steps, if not all FIVE!!
Sharing is Caring! Thank you.
Coaching both privately and in groups, Deborah is also a speaker, author, event leader and consultant. Creator of the Foundation and Framework Intensive, Question Master and Leader of the Entrepreneur Business Success Club, Deborah has been called an “Architect of Magical Business and Soul Structure”by her clients because she has a powerful ability to perform alchemy, changing passions and dreams into money and time by design.
Choose a Complimentary Vision Exploration for Your Business
Stay focused and in the Loop.
Subscribe to Blog Updates
Latest posts by Deborah Tutnauer (see all)
- Dear America - November 10, 2016
- Get the Book! Picture Frame Marketing for Coaches - September 28, 2016
- The End Value of Small Business Coaching Experience - July 18, 2016